This is my third year as a Pitch Wars mentor and undomesticated equines could not remove me (super-duper bonus points if you get that reference) from this competition! Let me tell you a little bit about myself and what I'm looking for...
My name is Sarah Nicolas (duh) but I also write adult romance under the name Aria Kane. I'm in the publicity department at Entangled Publishing, but started out there with a few years of reading slush for the publisher. My YA debut, Dragons are People, Too will be out early in 2015. I also blog at YAtopia and video blog at the YA Rebels. I'm represented by Rebecca Podos at the Rees Literary Agency.
I'm a whedonite, a whovian, and am still convinced I'm going to marry Leonardo (the Ninja Turtle). I play a lot of wallyball and my day job is planning events for a public library. My social media links are in the sidebar to your right if you want to find me on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, or other places.
This year, I am a mentor for both YA and NA.
What do I like?
- science fiction
- urban fantasy/paranormal
- magical realism
- contemporary, but only with a strong hook
- multicultural & foreign settings
- strong voice
- subversion of cultural norms, especially gender norms
- supernatural creatures that we haven't seen much of
- EDIT: hey, guys, when I say I like sci-fi and fantasy, that means everything. So if your question is "are you interested in [any sff sub-genre besides hardcore horror]?" - the answer is yes.
What don't I like?
- on-screen rape, no exceptions
- historical (EDIT: straight up historical. historical with some sort of SFF element is golden. For example, I'm reading RIFT by Andrea Cremer right now and am loving it)
- hard-core horror
- NA plotlines no different from all the others out there
Why should you choose me to be your mentor?
As a publicist for YA and NA books, I study the market every day. As a former editorial assistant, I have editorial experience and will push your book to the next level.
My former mentees have gotten agents and book deals after my mentorship and it's not because I take it easy on them! If you want a mentor who is going to take on your project, tweak a few sentences and tell you it's perfect, I'm not the girl for you! But if you want to have a true partnership where we make something beautiful together...
If you have questions, I'm very open to answering them for you so please leave them below. I will not, however, answer specific questions about whether or not I'd be interested in your specific book as I don't think it's fair.
Check out the other mentors' bios and wishlists: