I'm going to cheat a little because my WIP is pretty new and... well, it's a super-duper first draft, if you get what I'm saying. (ROUGH) So I'm going to do five from that one and five from The Demons You Know, which is the work I'm querying.
The Demons You Know
- A tangible trembling of magic hung in the air like the sound of a muted television.
- Miranda couldn’t identify the feeling in her chest then. It was so abstract and intangible that she knew it shouldn’t be capable of causing such profound pain. She had known this pain only once before – when her father died – and she finally recognized it; her heart was breaking.
- Gaping mouths of concrete and steel soundlessly cried out in horror.
- The crinkling of the ancient pages whispered in the quiet night, calling her name with a wordless voice.
- She wanted to stay like this, lingering in his light for a while.
Dragons Are People Too (For this one, I gravitated toward the lines that represents Kitty's voice more than anything else)
- I suddenly feel like I'm lost in a forest I've walked through many times. I stare at a point in front of me that I'm not entirely sure exists. But it must, because I can't seem to tear my gaze away.
- Not for the first time, I wonder if the Secret Service teach their agents a class in how to frown with purpose.
- Sani is calling my name but he sounds like he's above the waves of this ocean that's drowning me in nothing.
- "Technically," I hedge, "I didn't do anything wrong." It probably would sound more convincing if I believed it.
- Sometimes, I need my mom to be just my mom. And being semi-responsible for both an international event and the exposure of an entire species that thrives on secrecy? This would be one of those times.
Well, there they are. Five of my favorite lines from both The Demons You Know and Dragons Are People Too. I hope you like them. And if you participated in this blogfest, leave a link in the comments!