December 10: Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
I can't say there's a single decision that sticks out to me from this year – at least not one I haven't mentioned in the past two weeks. If I'm being completely honest, 'wisdom' doesn't hold that much weight in my decision-making process lately. The process is kinda more like this:
- What do I want to do?
- Do that.
Most of my life, I've been doing what I 'should' do. I've weighed the pros and cons, evaluated the situation, always taken the safe path.
And it just wasn't working for me. So I'm trying something new. And I guess there is some wisdom in that, even if it is unconventional.
December 11: 11 Things. What are 11 things your life doesn't need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
Cutting back on things is actually something I've been working toward. I know a lot of people took this in the non-literal sense, but I think it's important to literally un-clutter your life also.
- Dishes. Not all of them, just a lot of them. Our kitchen has quadruples of pretty much everything. It drives me nuts.
- Clothes. I have a huge closet, half-filled with clothes I haven't worn in over six months.
- Stuff. Anything I use less than twice a year. I don't even like to keep trinkets or seasonal decorations. It's apparently weird, but I don't imbue emotions on material possessions – so why bother keeping them around?
- Weight. Some extra pounds. I won't say how many, but they're as good as gone. Just give me a few months.
- Toiletries. I don't know why, but I collect lotion, shampoo, body wash, etc faster than I can use it.
- Dust. Though I'm totally anti-clutter, I'm not a fan of dusting. I know I should, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I'll try.
- Lame Duck Friends. You know the ones. You think they're a good friend, until you need them. Or maybe you keep inviting them to things and they always have an excuse and never return the invites. Not worth it.
- Rejection Letters. I hate them. I know they're inevitable, but I'll do everything I can to keep them to a minimum – short of not submitting, of course.
- Traffic. Sounds awesome, right? I can only think of one way to do this: move somewhere where I can walk to just about anything I need.
- Uncomfortable Shoes. Life is way too short for me to spend any amount of time thinking about my feet hurting – especially when I've done it to myself. If I can't dance in them for hours, they're gone.
- Junk food. I'm not saying I want to get rid of it completely (I'm not one of those people), but cut down significantly. I guess this will help with number four too.
So I was planning on doing at least one more post, but I'm tired and it's time to go to bed. Expect more tomorrow!